Effective April 4, 2018, Instagram without advance notice, affecting all users of the Instagram API.
The user-generated content currently in use on your properties is not affected. However, there are some changes to TINT functionality due to these changes that all customers should be aware of:
Effect on your TINT accounts
- Aggregating posts from any unowned Instagram accounts (@username) is no longer possible
- Aggregating hashtag content still works, but is affected by additional rate limiting
- Aggregating posts from any Instagram handle for which you have login credentials still works (i.e. If you owned @TINT Instagram handle with login credentials, you can still aggregate posts from that account).
- Acquiring rights for Instagram posts via commenting through TINT is no longer possible (alternative solution below)
- Author profile images and full names are no longer aggregated and will no longer show on posts in TINT
- Author username handle (@username) will still exist and show up on posts
- Instagram followers data is no longer accessible
- Filtering posts by followers in the TINT filter bar will no longer be available
- Impact analytics (i.e. impressions) will be affected
Changes we’re making to the TINT platform to reflect Instagram’s new API
- Removing the ability to connect any Instagram handles that you do not have login credentials for
- You will still be able to add any Instagram handle for which you have login credentials. For example, if you owned @TINT Instagram handle with login credentials, you can still aggregate posts from that account.
- If you have added your own branded accounts with different login credentials (which is a possibility if you have added your accounts before the api changes), please follow the steps below
Visit the TINT editor
You will see a big exclamation mark next to your Instagram Accounts
- Clicking on the exclamation mark will prompt you with a dialog to connect your Instagram Account
- Use the credentials for the Instagram account that you are authenticating (Note: trying to add credentials of a different account will result in an error.)
- Once you add the right credentials, we will be able to continue pulling in posts for your feed.
- Changing the rights acquisition flow for Instagram posts to use Instagram direct messages instead of commenting
- Adding placeholders for author profile photos on Instagram posts
- IG posts from your own branded account that you have login credentials for will continue to have profile photos and author full name
- Removing the ability to filter by follower count for Instagram feeds in the TINT filter bar
- Adding a workaround for expired photo/video links
We are aware that these changes are sudden, but we are working hard to abide by Instagram’s changes while still providing the best-in-class solutions for our customers. We will continue to monitor any changes and communicate with you as we learn more.
Rate Limit API Changes
- Impressions from Instagram posts
- Influential Instagram Contributors
- Filtering content by Instagram Followers
In addition, fewer Instagram posts may be aggregated than exist on the social network depending on the total volume of content being aggregated in your account. If you're experiencing issues with your update times, we highly recommend following the steps here to minimize the impact.
As always, you can if you have any questions.